August 11, 2023
Introducing: the Kootenay Venture Network
Funding the Next Kootenay Tech Startup
Kootenays, BC – The Kootenay Association for Science and Technology (KAST) is proud to announce the launch of the Kootenay Venture Network (KVN), a dynamic and forward-thinking group of investors dedicated to fostering the growth of early-stage technology companies within the vibrant Kootenay Region. Rooted in a shared belief in the region’s untapped potential, KVN aims to support innovative startups and drive economic prosperity by providing strategic investments and invaluable resources. This is a network of investors that will be presented with investment opportunities and given the opportunity to meaningfully invest in both the local start-up and, in turn, their communities.
Embracing a unique approach, KVN functions akin to a traditional Angel Investor Group, closely collaborating with founders to accelerate their growth journey. Angel Investor Groups typically come together at set dates and encourage startups to pitch for collective investment from all the Angel members. Rather than hosting traditional investment forums, the KVN members come together when a founder is ready and work with them to support their next stage of growth. The KVN is committed to fostering connections and empowering startups through a range of impactful initiatives:
- Community: KVN offers a thriving ecosystem for networking and collaboration, providing founders with unparalleled opportunities to connect with industry leaders, mentors, and fellow entrepreneurs, creating a conducive environment for knowledge exchange and strategic partnerships.
- Facilitated Investor-Founder Introductions: KVN acts as a bridge between founders and investors, facilitating meaningful connections that streamline the investment process and lay the groundwork for future growth.
- Investment Training: KVN serves as a hub for learning and knowledge sharing, offering free workshops, seminars, and resources that equip startups and investors with the insights and tools needed to navigate the complex entrepreneurial landscape successfully. Workshops will run every Thursday as follows:
- KVN Investor Orientation + Meet-Up: September 21, 2023 at 18:30 PT/19:30 MT
- KVN Founder Session 1: September 28, 2023 at 18:30 PT/1930 MT
- KVN Investor Workshop 1: October 5, 2023 at 1830 PT/1930 MT
- KVN Founder Session 2: October 12, 2023 at 1830 PT/1930 MT
- KVN Investor Workshop 2: October 19, 2023 at 1830 PT/1930 MT.
- KVN Founder Session 3: October 26, 2023 at 1830 PT/1930 MT
- KVN Investor Workshop 3: November 2, 2023 at 1830 PT/1930 MT.
- KVN Investors and Founders Meet for a LIVE Pitch Session : November 9, 2023 at 1830 PT/1930 MT.
The KVN is excited to announce that all workshops and training sessions will be delivered and facilitated by the accomplished, well-known investor, business executive and mentor, Henry Kutarna.
“As an experienced angel investor for over 20 years, I have come to respect the entrepreneurial spirit of the founders in this area. I also noticed that there is a lot of capital settling into the region looking for good deal flow. Money is moving here. This is a winning combination.”
– Henry Kutarna, KAST Executive in Residence
The Kootenay Venture Network is a pioneering initiative of KAST – dedicated to funding and nurturing innovative start-ups in the Kootenay Region of British Columbia. With a focus on local impact and collaborative growth, the network aims to empower entrepreneurs and investors alike, to drive positive change and catalyze economic development in the region.
Kootenay Venture Network is not just an investor group; it’s a catalyst for transformation. By nurturing innovation, fostering collaboration, and providing strategic investments, KVN is poised to play a pivotal role in propelling the Kootenay Region onto the global technology map.
About KAST: The Kootenay Association for Science and Technology is a non-profit organization based in the Kootenay region. It supports the growth of science, technology, and innovation in the region by connecting businesses, entrepreneurs, and students with resources and support.
KAST Executive in Residence
Cell: 250 921 4576