Job Description: Program and Communication Specialist
Type of Employment: Part-time
Hours: 20-25/week Possibility of permanent Full-time in the future for the right applicant
Deadline to Apply: October 22, 2021
KAST (Kootenay Association for Science and Technology) is the hub of Kootenay tech and innovation and the only non-profit technology association serving the entire Kootenay economic region. Our mission is to enable a vibrant, thriving and healthy tech community in the Kootenays by creating inclusive economic opportunities, stimulating job growth and by providing entrepreneurs and businesses with the support they need to thrive in the local and digital economy. We do that presently from the Nelson Innovation Centre and through programs, services, networking opportunities and events and regional partnerships.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome all applications. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to our diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual with a penchant for organization and high quality administrative execution. This includes providing support to our management team, and completing a mixture of operational, communications and administrative tasks. The Program & Communication Specialist will thrive working in an entrepreneurial environment, is a self-motivated and creative communicator and problem solver, and strives to implement continuous improvements.
Key areas of responsibility include oversight in the following areas:
● Support Management to identify and improve administrative procedures and support their implementation
● Maintain up to date office procedures / manuals to ensure operational efficiency
● Facilitate the completion of client agreements and program contracts
● Monitor and maintain electronic filing structure, subscriptions and social media accounts
● Create occasional content for KAST and Nelson Innovation Centre’s social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram & LinkedIn
● Assist with the collection and provision of program financial information & key performance metrics for funder reports
● Manage schedules, meetings, and bookings for the Nelson Innovation Center
● Coordinate required logistics for various programs, events and workshops
● Purchasing of office and facility supplies
● Handle phone calls, e-mails and inquiries and ensure that queries are directed to the proper person. Provide outstanding service to clients, tenants, members, suppliers, staff, Directors and the public.
Financial Document Management
● Manage weekly accounts payable and receivable documents (invoices, receipts, purchase orders, etc.)
● Update accounting software entries and budgets as required
● Review monthly program reports and identify issues and flag to management
Board Liaison, Records Management & Compliance
● Maintain a highly professional relationship with the Board of Directors
● Schedule and organize board meeting logistics such as meeting documentation and agendas
● Attend Directors Meetings and Annual General Meeting; prepare, edit and distribute Meeting Minutes
● Manage the accuracy and ensure proper maintenance of records in keeping with CRA, BC Society Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) & Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) regulations
Please see the full job description below.
Experience & Qualifications:
Post-secondary certificate or diploma in a relevant field combined with a minimum of 2 years recent and related experience in program / office administration or communications
● Experience in non-profit or public sector accounting, business or public administration, operations or human resources
● Proficiency in Windows, including G-Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Sheets, Docs), MS Word, EXCEL, and PowerPoint, Adobe and and the demonstrated ability to quickly grasp new software programs with proper training
● Ability to work independently with strong problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
● Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
● Self-motivated and initiative taking Desired Knowledge, Skills and Assets:
● Tech savvy and knowledge of the B.C. or regional Kootenay tech sector would be an asset
● Ability to quickly learn or experience in some or all of the following software: WordPress, Insightly Customer Relations Management (CRM), Xero Accounting, Eventbrite, MailChimp, Plooto, WagePoint, HubDoc
● Creativity in writing, digital design or photography/videography may be an asset
Location: Nelson Innovation Center in Nelson, BC.
Must be able to travel. Travel may occasionally be requested.
How to Apply:
Submit the following in Word or PDF format directly to email@example.com by October 22, 2021.
- Cover letter – 1 page; format and content will be used for evaluation purposes. Please concisely articulate why you would be the best candidate for the position and why you are applying
- Resume – no longer than 2 pages
We thank all applicants but only those considered for an interview will be contacted. Professional reference and criminal record checks will be conducted prior to appointing the successful candidate.
Full Job Description: