Indigenous Consultant: Kootenay Net Zero Innovation Action Plan
Background of project
The Kootenay Association of Science and Technology (KAST) is a regional organization focused on fostering inclusive economic opportunities and job creation through science, technology and innovation in the Kootenays. KAST is committed to building entrepreneurial communities by creating opportunities, attracting and supporting new businesses and stimulating job growth. Our programs help prepare local residents for jobs of the future and contribute to a sustainable growth economy.
The Kootenay Net Zero Innovation Action Plan is an initiative of both KAST and Foresight to identify key opportunities to support net zero in the Kootenays and will include two in-person consultations focusing on regional cleantech opportunities in water, bio-economy, mining and other broader net zero opportunities to boost economic development in the region.
The Kootenay Net Zero Innovation Action Plan fits into Foresight’s larger British Columbia Net Zero Innovation Network (BCNZIN) initiative. BCNZIN is an initiative to accelerate British Columbia’s transition to a clean, net zero economy by bringing together the ecosystem to fast-track development and adoption of clean technology solutions, enabling the province to become a global leader.
The BCNZIN aims to break down silos, advance local economic development, and scale clean technologies through industry adoption. It is designed to support collaboration between startup SMEs, industry, academia, government, investors, and Indigenous partners. The BCNZIN builds off provincial and federal climate initiatives and targets (CleanBC, HEHE), lessons from working with Foresight ventures, industry partners, and investor networks, its predecessor, the CORE Cluster initiative, and from best-in-class clusters from around the world.
Foresight is Canada’s cleantech accelerator. We bring together innovators, industry, investors, government, and academia to address today’s most urgent climate issues and support a global transition to a green economy.
Scope of work
We are looking for an Indigenous consultant with strong relationships across the Kootenays to help support a consultation on cleantech opportunities as part of the British Columbia Net Zero Innovation Network. In this role, you will:
- Help facilitate conversations with Indigenous-owned businesses interested in cleantech.
- Provide insights into Indigenous cleantech interests and opportunities in the region.
- Support and provide feedback regarding design, implementation, research and report writing.
- Understand and Communicate the environmental, sustainability and cleantech priorities of the Sinixt, the Syilx, the Métis and the Ktunaxa Nations with the purpose of identifying opportunities for collaboration.
- Review research and communications materials.
Experience and competencies
- Knowledge and appreciation of the unique history, cultures and rights of Indigenous Peoples in the Kootenays and passion for supporting Reconciliation.
- A demonstrated history of building successful relationships with Indigenous communities in the Kootenays and experience supporting implementation of successful projects.
- Experience coordinating and/or facilitating in-person events or roundtable discussions with diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the diverse Indigenous businesses operating in the Kootenays and the opportunities present for cleantech solutions.
- Experience conducting research and writing reports.
- Understanding of cleantech, net zero and climate change concepts.
The consultant will support relationship building, research, event coordination, and report writing with an estimated 10-15 hours of work over the next 3 months. If you are interested in this opportunity please contact Melanie Fontaine, KAST Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.