Permanent, Full‐Time; Specialty Tailings Project Regional District of Central Kootenay — Nelson.
The RDCK is seeking applications for an Environmental Technologist to join their Resource Recovery team in Nelson, BC. This is a full time, permanent position that supports the general operations and ongoing compliance of all solid waste management services throughout the RDCK including landfills, transfer stations, recycling programs and facilities, septage management, composting facilities, and tailings storage facilities.
The first 12 months in this role will focus on contaminated sites and dam safety, with specialization on meeting the technical demands relating to closure works and post‐closure operations of the HB Tailings Storage Facility. Once trained, the incumbent fulfils the role of Tailings Storage Facility Qualified Person for the RDCK and assists with activities for the Engineer of Record in line with the Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in BC.
The position assists with development of short and long term planning for the HB Facility and coordinates internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the RDCK actions related to the facility are consistent with overall strategic objectives, policy, standards and regulations.
Given the diverse requirements of this role, the RDCK will consider applicants who are skilled in the Environmental/Solid Waste Management OR Mining Reclama on/Tailings fields, who are willing to learn and train across both fields once in the role. Participation in the rotational Resource Recovery On‐Call Program is a requirement of this position.
- Bachelor degree in Environmental Science, Applied Science, Engineering or similar
- 3 years experience in administration and operation of municipal solid waste services and/or tailings facilities
- Demonstrated contract administration and project management skills
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for this completion
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License and satisfactory Criminal Record Check
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of best practices and operations of tailings facilities, earthen dams, surface water control systems, landfills and other solid waste management systems and programs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including public relations skills.
- Ability to develop, implement and manage long‐term projects and work to organizational policy and procedure.
- Ability to perform manual work, in all weather conditions with exposure to unpleasant substances and materials.
This posting, along with a detailed job description including specialist project tasks, can be found on our website at HERE.
Applications in the form of a resume and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience relative to the position will be accepted by email or post until 9am Wednesday December 12, 2017.
Human Resources, Regional District of Central Kootenay Box 590, 202 Lakeside Drive, Nelson, BC V1L 5R4
Phone: (250) 352‐8150