The Columbia Basin Trust and the Basin Business Advisors program are responding to feedback from residents, and will be enhancing their business support services specifically for agricultural producers within the Columbia Basin.
As such, they are looking to add some more talent to the stable.
The Basin Business Advisor – Agriculture Specialist will provide business advisory services to existing farm businesses including crop, dairy, poultry and meat producers in the Columbia Basin. The Advisor is a business counsellor, providing advice and guidance to business owners and managers.
This full-time position may be located at various Community Futures offices within the Columbia Basin (ideally Trail, Nelson or Cranbrook) and reports to the BBA Program Manager. Travel throughout the Basin is required.
1. Delivering business advisory services to existing agricultural businesses:
- counselling business owners/operators in regards to financial management, business planning, marketing, strategic planning, human resource planning, etc.;
- conducting financial and business assessments and providing detailed recommendations;
- meeting with clients in-person (at the client’s location or at the BBA office) or virtually (using video-conferencing or other online meeting technology); and
- if appropriate, referring clients to specialized business consultants.
2. Representing and promoting the BBA program:
- taking part in networking events in order to promote awareness and understanding of the BBA program.
3. Supporting the delivery of the BBA program which will include:
- ongoing development of counselling and training materials;
- identifying, liaising and managing relationships with specialized business consultants;
- marketing and promotion of the BBA program;
- systematic gathering of reporting information from clients; and
- liaising with program partners and industry/community organizations.
Training and Experience:
- a minimum of three years proven business experience, with direct agriculture applications.
- knowledge of farm business management practices, including knowledge of financial practices, understanding of financial statements, knowledge of human resource practices, marketing and sales strategies, distribution, etc.;
- a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- education and/or experience in training, coaching or counselling;
- experience in developing business tools or training materials is an asset; and
- experience in developing and maintaining relationships with small and medium sized businesses.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- personal qualities include characteristics which would engender trust and confidence in business owners accessing the program, such as maturity and experience;
- strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with clients, sub-contractors, partners and the business community;
- knowledge of farm operations;
- excellent communication skills are required, including writing skills;
- comfortable with speaking at public events on behalf of the program;
- knowledge of the Columbia Basin economy is desirable;
- ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
- high level competency in the use of MS Office (primarily word and excel);
- ability to travel throughout the Columbia Basin is required, as well as use of a personal vehicle for travel. Mileage will be paid at provincial government rates; and
- ability to work flexible hours.
Note: this position does not require extensive knowledge regarding crop science or animal science.
To indicate interest in this position, please submit your CV to email@example.com by Sept 22, 2017. Please reference BBA Agriculture Advisor in the title.
For information on the Basin Business Advisors program visit bbaprogram.ca.
They are also requesting qualifications for Agricultural Specialist Consultants. Please see alternate Request for Qualified Applicants posting.